Monday, December 11

4 Stars for Liberty Richter

While this blog is my collection of horrible customer service anecdotes, I have on occasion given accolades. This is one of those occasions.

I am involved in the "food allergy community" (I hate using the c-word for everything . . . perhaps I should say "underground"? LOL.) Both of my daughters have food allergies; one of my nephews does, too. Reading every label on every food product is second nature to me, and I am always on the lookout for safe food alternatives.

One of the products my sister buys for my nephew (and many parents in my Community/Underground buy) is called VeganRella, manufactured by Liberty Richter. It's a cheese substitute that contains no dairy, no soy, and no legumes, making it unique in the allergy world.

Last week, VeganRella changed its recipe to contain expeller-pressed soy oil. This came as a very unwelcome surprise for parents (and kids!) whose only source of "cheese" is VeganRella. A grassroots effort was launched, with POFAKs (that's Parents of Food-Allergic Kids for those of you not in the peanut-free gallery ;) calling to voice their disappointment.

In a phenomental move, Liberty Richter has decided to resume the production of VeganRella with canola, instead of soy, oil. Until this incident they were unaware that their product was so popular in the allergy world. And in the meantime, they even offered my sister (one of the moms who called) a small stash of the canola oil version to last my nephew until the new canola oil batches hit the stores in a few weeks-- after a thorough cleaning of their production equipment, to reduce the potential for soy contamination.

This kind of service is virtually unheard of; some day I will rant about Hain Celestial, maker of Rice Dream products (and many, many, many others.) To have Liberty Richter address this issue promptly and resolve the matter in a way most beneficial to both manufacturer and consumer is, simply, fanfrickingtastic.

6 Comments:

At 2:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI! I followed you here from POAS. (and as soon as I get my BFP I will be sending you my remaining sticks too!!)
However I need to say, because it needs to be said.. this is my new fav. blog, and you, my new fav. blogetier!!
I love your writing!

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Nicole - Raising Animals said...

My 4 year old also has terrible allergies; we're talking Egg, Dairy, Soy, Peanuts, White Beans, the list goes on.
I think it's great that the company decided to change their oil back! Now only if we could call the cookie people and get them to use egg replacer, my life would be alot happier!

 
At 12:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent to hear. Two of my children have peanut allergies, it can be heartbreaking at time. Good luck.

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger SarahRachel said...

I found you on my friend Carrie's blog and I've been reading all your previous posts for the last hour and laughing out loud. You should seriously compile all this into a book! I'd buy it.
I'm gonna add you as a fave on my blog if you don't mind.
That's great customer service from them...yay!
Oh, I'm from Northern Virginia originally so it's NO surprise to me that you recieve poor customer service as often as you do. People up there can be SOO rude!

 
At 2:08 AM, Blogger missmarble said...

I found you through POAS, which is an awesome site. I miss your stories though! Has the lightning rod been disconnected? Can't wait to hear about the next story...

Carrie

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

Do you know if Liberty Richter still manufactures VeganRella? or a website where I can purchase it? We are a good drive from a health food store that "might" carry it. I have heard lots of great reviews for this "cheese" and would love to try it. Thanks for any insight or direction! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home