Thursday, March 13

BD: Big Duh?

My basal thermometer wandered off.

Actually I'm pretty sure it was assisted by my 19-month-old. But she's not telling, and neither is her sidekick the pink elephant.

However, I am sick of the rigid basal thermometer that I've been using since 2001. I'd really prefer a flex-tip (makes temping while half-asleep easier, as I tend to lack jaw control at that hour.)

I'd heard from many sources that the BD fever thermometers are as sensitive as the basal thermometers. But I'd never actually confirmed that, so I called up their technical support line (cue the laughter.)

I spoke with a very nice gentleman who was, at the very least, aware that his company sold basal thermometers. One point for BD. But then I asked the really tough question: what is the technical difference between the two?

Well, he said, the basal thermometers are more sensitive than the fever thermometers.

The basal thermometers are accurate within .1° of a degree, right?

Yes, he said. (He knew off the top of his head! Two points for BD.)

And is the fever thermometer accurate within, what, .2°?

No, he replied, the fever thermometer are accurate within .1°.

So . . . doesn't that mean they're equally sensitive?

No, he replied. Minus ten for BD.

But if they're both sensitive to within .1°, aren't they the same?

No, he said. The basal thermometers are used for something different than fevers.

Yeah, I've been using the BD basal thermometer for over 7 years. I know how they work. But usually fever thermometers are calibrated with a larger margin of error; the BD fever thermometers are a superior product (flattery can't hurt) and are sensitive within .1° just like the basal thermometers.

At this point, he asked to place me on hold. Oh sure, why the heck not.

After several minutes, he came back and informed me that the basal thermometers come packaged with charts and a free trial of charting software. Obviously the most crucial difference between the two!

Thanks for your help, I said. So, just to recap: the basal thermometers are accurate within .1°?

Yes, they are.

And the fever thermometers are accurate with .1°?

Yes. But-the-basal-thermometers-are-more-sensitive.

Got it. Thanks so much for your help!

*click* *blink blink*

You can feel free to repeat my experiment by dialing BD thermometer support at 1-800-511-9223. And now I'm off to buy my flex-tip BD fever thermometer.

10 Comments:

At 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to hear from you again. I was in the Wendy's drive-thru the other day and wondered if maybe your luck had changed. I guess not! Ha ha.

 
At 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I own a production company (XBlast Studios) and I wanted to know if you would like a full domain name and redesigned flash blog for your Customer Service blog. You can check out my company's website at XBlaststudios.com (looks bad at the moment, going through reconstruction.) Email me at Nikmaster0@gmail.com if your interested. I will give you a discounted project price because it's a blog.



Thanks,
Nik

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Anna said...

I have not been impressed with my newer BD thermy. My charting thermy is from 1998 or so, and is a fever thermometer. The newer one is a blue monstrosity, and isn't accurate at all. Hopefully you'll have better luck. Either way, your customer service guy was a trip!

 
At 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha! That is funny! Though I thought that Basal Thermometers were accurate to .01

Humorous none the less, lol

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Me said...

though I thought that Basal Thermometers were accurate to .01

Nope. Some basal thermometers have readings to the .01°, but their actual accuracy goes only to .1° (I've even seen some with readings to .01° with accuracy +/- .2°! Gotta read the fine print.)

For use in fertility tracking, .1° is sufficient. There are no data that indicate .01° offers any additional information, and no peer-reviewed sympto-thermal fertility systems (such as Couple to Couple League, Northwest Family Services, or Taking Charge of Your Fertility methodologies) require measurements any more specific than .1°.

 
At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My BBT thermometer is accurate to .01, I wish I could remember who makes it off hand, it is a nice one :)

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Eliza said...

cool blog!
I just tried sending you an email from your amazing website and it bounced back. Is the website still being maintained? Just curious...

 
At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anne said...

Meg - what happened to you poas.com? it's got something else now and I can only find your info when I click cache and it's a pic saved from may....

 
At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your blog - just 'discovered' it. So glad to see peeonastick.com is back up. Love love love to obsess on that website! :) You rock!! BTW, is peestickparadise.com yours too, or is that just another peestick lover with a good sense of humor???

 
At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would be great to hear if you like you BD fever thermometer for basal temperature charting?
Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home